Wednesday, March 08, 2006

international women's day day

every year, this day makes me more and more angry. today i felt like throwing a bomb.i looked at every woman in the subway and inferred that they all had shitty underpaid jobs where they were undervalued, and raged. the escalator at work was broken and the security drone insisted on fidgeting with the on/off key instead of letting us (we were all women) just walk down the stairs. I inferred he would have let men go if they had asked. i raged. i was ignored in a teleconference and KNEW it was because I'm a woman. And I raged. I figured every slight, injustice, denigration or other form of dismissal as gendered - and raged. intermittently I thought about how international women's day in russia had become an ultimately degrading expression of women's relegation to the margins of housework drudgery and unvalued labor, as men "celebrated" them by buying flowers. who the fuck needs flowers at a time like this - as the lithuanian women's party pointed out, give me a fucking cuisinart so i don't keep grating the ends of my fingers off making the national dish of grated potato (and finger) dumplings. that got me thinking about mother's day as well - what a farce. thank me every time i ovulate, lactate, menstruate and every other ate while working for my 72 cents, prick weed.
Gosh, am i feeling a little "you can have it all" backlash today. it's just that I don't have it all, i just have to do it all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

My god, you're turning into Lucy! I'm going to have to start raging, except I was writing a post the other day about how I'm hopelessly a nice girl, which just means I turn my rage at myself.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home